On behalf of our client, D.A. Blodgett – St. John’s, we are conducting a search for a Chief Financial Officer to join their leadership team in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The CFO oversees a $15 million operating budget consisting of multiple revenue sources including state and local contracts, grants, restricted and unrestricted donations, and endowment income. The position works in a fulfilling and highly supportive partnership with the executive leadership team, division directors, managers, and the Board of Directors. The CFO legacy will contribute strategic, analytical, transactional, and systems contributions, and provide a sustainable financial and organizational infrastructure that meets mission needs, goals, and aspirations over time. The position reports directly to the CEO and leads the accounting team, the facilities, and IT team leaders.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Direct the agency’s financial process in cooperation with the leadership and Board of Directors including: financial forecasting, evaluation and optimization of cash flow and liquidity, establishing annual priorities, timely development and communication of annual budgets by program, producing monthly financial statements measuring projections against actual performance, and providing effective guidance towards bringing performance into compliance with budget.
- Develop and lead a top-tier Finance Team to a level of excellence in supporting programs, financial reporting, payments, billing and collections, and clean audits.
- Prepare agendas and financial reports for the Board of Directors Finance and Audit committees. Lead these meetings and obtain required Board approval for required financial decisions.
- Keep current with trends in the nonprofit financial sector by attending conferences, participating in professional development, collaborating with community finance and CFO groups and sharing this information with the Finance Team and leadership.
- Utilize technology, particularly excel with pivot tables, Vlookups and filtering to optimize all reporting and analytical functions.
- Oversee facilities management and IT department leaders to support fiscal planning and correctly allocated resources to best support organizational strategy and program support.
- Ensure financial compliance with all regulatory and legal rules, standards and benchmarks.
- Coordinate the annual financial and benefit audits and assure any suggested improvements are follow-up on and achieved.
- Create budgets as required for grant applications, Request for Quotes (RFQ), and Request for Proposals (RFP) and comply with timelines and content for all required funding source financial reports.
- Support programs with tools needed to affect fiscal health, including creating and/or revising fiscal modeling for programs and departments.
- Create and support a 10-year capital plan for the organization.
- Supports Human Resources in areas such as payroll and worker benefits.
- Maintains liability coverage for the organization with vendors.
- Maintain a comprehensive Fiscal Policies and Procedures manual.
- Explore and advise how the organization can invest its reserves and resources by building relationships with banks and outside consultants and others as beneficial to the agency.
- Oversee and maintain all facets of the organization’s accounting processes, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Manage the accounting for trusts and donations to restricted funds.
- Review contracts and assure the agency has the ability to meet required financial reporting
- Coordinate the investment review of the agency’s 403b retirement plan and manage participant contributions, distributions and required annual disclosures.
- Calculate merit raise distributions in coordination with the Human Resources department.
- Supports and influences organizational strategy focus areas related to all organizational values, including EDI and Trauma informed work (i.e., Sanctuary Model implementation) alongside executive leadership.
Supervision Received: Limited Direction – Works from overall policies, goals, and budgetary limits. Virtually self-supervising with direct accountability for final results.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Advanced supervision – Determines work assignments, priorities, and procedures for subordinates; ensuring quality and quantity of work. Holds decision making authority for employee life-cycle activities including hiring, training, promotions, compensation.
Qualifications + Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance and either credentialed as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or completion of Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree
- Ten years of total accounting/finance experience including 5 years senior financial leadership experience
- Excellent skills in Excel, Accounting software and basic technologies
- Supportive of the organization’s mission, vision, and values
- Strategic decision maker
- Bridge builder
- Change manager
- Collaborative leader
- Strong writing, speaking, presentation and interpersonal skills
DABSJ is actively pursuing an inclusive and diverse workplace. They work to create an inclusive workplace free of discrimination where all are welcomed and belong. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation/identity, gender expression, height, weight, marital status, veteran’s status, disability, or other legally protected characteristic as required by law.
This job description does not list all duties of the job. Employees may be asked by management to perform other duties as needed. The Company reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment and does not infringe upon the Company’s at will employment status.
DABSJ has retained Palladian West to conclude the search and all candidates will go through the same interview process. All interested candidates should submit their resume and [optional] cover letter to Lesley Hassenrik at email@example.com with DABSJ- CFO in the subject line.