Executive Director (Grand Rapids, MI)
On behalf of our client, Humane Society of West Michigan, we are seeking an Executive Director to lead the overall direction, enrich the organizational culture, and provide financial oversight of the agency—all while advancing its mission. HSWM’s next Executive Director will guide the organization into a new chapter, determining a strategic roadmap alongside staff and the Board of Directors. With a strong team and a solid foundation already in place, we are looking for a collaborative and articulate leader. If this sounds like a great fit, we’d love to speak with you.
For 130 years, Humane Society of West Michigan has operated under a simple mission: to promote the humane treatment and responsible care of animals in West Michigan through education, example, placement and protection. Their broader vision is geared towards building a more compassionate community where all animals are given the care they deserve.
Attributes for Success:
Strong candidates will demonstrate experience in or the ability to effectively perform the following:
- Strategic Leadership. Collaborating with the Board of Directors, staff, and stakeholders to craft and execute a Strategic Plan.
- Employee Alignment. Hiring, inspiring and developing dynamic, high-performing teams. Introducing staffing structures, processes and best practices that result in organizational clarity.
- Finance & Budget Management. Authoring and owning the annual budget; working with the Finance Committee on monthly accounting and reporting activities.
- Fundraising. Performing fund development activities, including donor cultivation, grant and proposal writing, and identifying new funding sources.
- Community & Media Relations. Representing HSWM through public-speaking engagements, at HSWM- or community-sponsored events, and in the media.
Ideal candidates will have 5-10 years of non-profit leadership experience, with a Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred. Experience or knowledge in animal welfare matters are desired, but not required. An evident passion for protecting and caring for animals is essential.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Chaz Amidon at [email protected].
Humane Society of West Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.