Director of Product (Sutton, MA)
Are you a leader who loves to steer the direction and strategy for all-things-product? The Director of Product is a new role for our client, Source International. They are looking for someone who will elevate their product development and product management functions to the next level while leading a small team of design, product management and engineering. This position is responsible for guiding the success of the overall product portfolio, launching new products, leading product-centric strategy, and evaluating new markets and product categories.
Source International specializes in creating contract seating for customers seeking a blend of sophisticated design, environmental responsibility, and realistic pricing. Their culture is driven by a desire to invest in their people and promote from within. As a company, they are conscious of the role they play in contributing to the wellness of the environment. From components to manufacturing processes to distribution, they continue to research the most environmentally sound practices to minimize their impact on the shared landscape.
- Become intimately familiar with the Source strategy and product lines.
- Champion the stage-gate process, writing and owning the business case document (initially and later supervising), setting requirements, adhering to timelines, gaining approvals and driving product to completion; successfully launch 4 – 5 significant new products every year.
- Lead a team of strong and smart renegades, adding process and accountability without sacrificing creativity.
- Negotiate and build relationships with current and potential partners, suppliers and designers. The goal is to get products to market faster and with terms that are in the best interest of Source.
- Create and execute communication and reporting systems to keep leadership informed of product progress or issues.
- Oversee the life cycle of all product lines, anticipating problems, and championing overall strategy, adjustments or discontinuations.
- Champion new product introductions with a keen eye on manufacturability and/or feasibility to bring to market by Source.
- Oversee and/or conduct market research on trends, materials, product concepts, other new ideas, and market analysis.
- Research competition and suggest new product ideas, product assortment, product positioning or adjustments to appeal to Source’s core target markets.
- Bring a data-driven approach to product strategy, mining rich data on customers, products and profitability, leading the efforts to forecast, analyze and report to improve product performance throughout life cycle.
- Supervise testing initiatives to ensure compliance and high integrity products.
- Improve product profitability – constantly looking for new ways to improve gross margin (ie., improving design, freight damage, warranty issues).
- In conjunction with Creative Director, approve ECO’s where form or functionality is affected.
- Contribute openly, proactively and without personal agenda, as a key member of the Source Leadership Team.
- Overall sales growth and product profitability.
- Sales from new products.
- Number of new products in pipeline; speed to market; and percent of schedule on track.
- Knowledge of the office furniture market and associated distribution channels preferred.
- Contract negotiation and relationship-building skills required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills – written and verbal.
- Strong executive leadership and interpersonal skills, especially when it comes to leading a cross-functional team. People management experience preferred.
- Project management experience and skill – proven ability to drive projects on-time, on budget and with appropriate quality.
- Proactive and resourceful mindset – successful candidate will be a self-starter creating this new role and driving new processes.
- Executive team player, with proven track record of working successfully in a team environment, respecting others and accomplishing team goals.
- Results oriented – someone who keeps the business goals in mind and works to drive key organizational metrics and results.
- Strong analytical skills – finding key insights through data and information.
- 7 – 10+ years product development or product management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Marketing (MBA preferred).
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please contact Chaz Amidon at [email protected].